Selecting an Essential Oil
"In recent years, both doctors and the public have rediscovered the medical value of essential plant oils, but the idea of using their properties to maintain or regain health goes back to antiquity . . ." ~ Jean Valnet
When selecting which Essential Oils to purchase the quality, intention, energy, formulator, and purveyor are what matters the most!
Within the last few years, awareness of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy has risen tremendously, with no real regulations.
As a result you have companies making up their own in-house certifications. To the casual user and un-educated consumer these made-up certifications appear to come from a regulatory agency similar to the FDA. When they are nothing more than a marketing ploy to confuse the consumer.
The truth is there are no regulatory agencies, certifications, or rules governing the labeling of Essential Oils other than if a product contains a minimum of 10% Essential Oil, it can be labeled using the word "pure".
This acknowledgement in the marketplace has also generated products that are considered to be 'Commercial Aromatherapy' or 'Recreational Aromatherapy', neither of which should be confused with therapeutic 'Medicinal Aromatherapy'.
More often than not, the Essential Oils that are in so many products are not derived from a plant, but from a test tube in a lab - or if originally derived from a plant, they're so diluted, extended or adulterated, the marketable end-result is anything but a therapeutic Essential Oil.
With so many Essential Oil brands, companies, and offerings - many of whom are claiming to be the BEST, how do you discern which ones to use?
Below is our list of the 8 critical items to look for when judging the quality, efficacy, and energy of all brands of Essential Oils:
- Who is the formulator and purveyor of the Essential Oils?
- Is the formulator and purveyor internationally certified and recognized?
- Do they have relationships with growers worldwide or are they simply purchasing Essential Oils from one of hundreds of wholesale companies?
- Are the Essential Oils Certified Organic and Wild Harvested, GMO, Pesticide, and Additive free?
- Are the most effective species of plant materials being selected?
- Are the Essential Oils tested with a Gas Chromatograph [GC]?